Women from the Dominican Republic are renowned for their exquisite hair. Often referred to as Dominican hair, it requires specialized ingredients and treatments to look its best. If you are gifted with an exotic Dominican mane, it will need particular attention–especially when you are going on vacation or celebrating a special occasion.
Although mostly Dominican women are selective in their hair products and treatment, many of the men are just as particular. Everyone wants their ethnic hair to be attractive and presentable.
Common Hair Types In Dominican Ladies
Dominican ladies’ hair types are just as variable as other women around the world. Some have naturally smooth and straight hair, which is known as Taino style. Women who have a mixture of Spanish blood may have hair with a little wave to it. Those with coarse, curly hair usually have and African heritage. These are the ladies who straighten their hair with relaxing chemicals and straight irons. Each hair style is beautiful in its own way.
Hairstylists must take extra training to know how to treat and style Dominican hair correctly. One of the techniques they often use is called the Dominican blowout. This is how it is done:
• First, they will wash the client’s hair thoroughly with a rich shampoo for ethnic hair. Then, they apply a deep conditioner all the way to the hair roots. If the client’s hair is especially dry and brittle, the stylist may use a customized conditioner. Many of these conditioners use essential oils and carriers, like coconut or jojoba oil.
• The stylist will wrap the client’s hair in a cap or head wrap for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the strength of the conditioner. Some stylists sit their clients under a hair dryer for a heated conditioning.
• The client’s hair will then be rinsed completely with cool water.
• While the client’s hair is wet, the stylist will set it in magnetic rollers and will put her under the hair dryer. This technique gently straightens her hair.
• Finally, the stylist uses a hand blow dryer and a rounded brush to finish the look. The stylist may put a finishing spray on the client’s hair.
Usually, women who have a Dominican blowout to relax their hair will simply wear it down. It is the easiest style to maintain. It is also common to see ponytails during hot summer days or when the lady is working. For evening elegance, some ladies add a couple of simple hair accessories to their straightened hairdo.
You may see younger girls wearing corn rows or casual braids with colorful rubber bands or beads. Men with Dominican hair may wear it short or have long braids in an African style.
How To Care For Your Dominican Hair
Many people do not have the luxury of going to a beauty shop once a week. Even then, it is important to care for your Dominican hair every day to keep it healthy, beautiful, and manageable. Here are some excellent tips to try:
• You can deep condition your hair at home between trips to the stylist. Every two weeks or so, rub a mixture of pure olive oil and pureed avocado into your hair, being careful to get to the roots. Wrap your hair in a warm towel and let it set for up to 30 minutes. Rinse your hair well and style as usual. You may hear some stylists call this a hair mask. It will give your Dominican style extra strength, more volume, and will tame the frizzies.
• Do you want to maintain your straight hair after you dry it or use a flat iron? Many Dominican ladies use bobby pins to pin their hair around their head while they sleep. It keeps the straight hairstyle longer. This is known as sleeping with a “dubi”.
Hair Products Formulated For Dominican Hair
For the best products for your hair type, it stands to reason that they will be made in the Dominican Republic. These experts know exactly what ingredients to use for ideal hair care.
If you live in America, you can find most of your favorite Dominican hair products in salons that cater to ethnic styles. They have conditioners, glosses, shampoos, and styling creams, to name a few. Some of the main ingredients are fine oils, fruit, and avocado. You might also see ones with avocado and even slime from snails.
Stick to those with all natural ingredients. They are better for your hair than the ones with artificial junk. Most of these great Dominican products are economical and can be used for your daily hair routine.
More Beauty Secrets For The Dominican Lady
You are what you eat, so consume a diet that is loaded with lean meats, healthy grains, and fresh produce. Avoiding sugary junk food will keep your complexion smooth and clear. Use quality moisturizers and toners for radiant skin. Also, we do haircuts, hair coloring, keratin treatments, and Dominican blowouts.
The same healthy diet will also keep your nails lovely and strong. Many Dominican women swear by garlic for luxurious nails. You can take it as a supplement, consume it in your diet, our even rub cloves on your fingernails. Do not forget your toenails. You want to look your best in your chic sandals.
When you take care of your hair, it will stay strong and beautiful. If you have questions about how to treat your Dominican hair, ask a stylist who specializes in ethnic beauty. Be proud of who you are and let your hair show it!